Dual Enrollment Program

Dual Enrollment is a program that allows high school students to simultaneously earn high school and college credit while enrolled in their local high school. Dual Enrollment is also referred to as dual credit or concurrent course credit. However, dual enrollment refers to a circumstance in which a student is enrolled in more than one educational institution.

Texas Education Code, §§29.182, 29.184, 61.027, 61.076(J), 130.001(b)(3) - (4), 130.008, 130.090, and 135.06(d) provide the Board with the authority to regulate dual credit partnerships between public two-year associate degree-granting institution and public universities with secondary schools.


School districts interested in establishing dual credit courses should contact Lamar Institute of Technology to begin the process to establish a dual enrollment partnership. Students that are interested in registering for dual enrollment courses must apply to LIT. Students may apply at www.ApplyTexas.org. and should select certificate program as their first choice school and then High School Co-Enrollment as their first choice major.
The curriculum for college credit courses is approved by the Higher Education Coordinating Board. The curriculum for non-college credit courses is determined collaboratively between industry and faculty.
Benefits for Students
  1. Students receive dual credit for courses successfully completed. They receive high school credit and college credit for courses completed.
  2. Students obtain marketable skills for employment beyond high school.
  3. Students complete courses in the general education and core curriculum for programs offered at LIT.
  4. Students earn college credits before graduating from high school thus reducing their college tuition costs and accelerating their college degree program.
  5. School districts may develop additional partnerships with local Workforce Development Boards or local businesses to support dual enrollment students.


  1. Who will teach the course?
    Dual Credit courses will be taught by LIT faculty or SACSCOC qualified faculty within the school district. 
  2. When will courses be taught?
    Credit and non-credit courses may be offered during the day or in the evening on the LIT campus or at the local high school. 
  3. Who supplies books and materials?
    School districts or students are responsible for providing textbooks and supplies. 
  4. Who is eligible to complete dual enrollment courses?
    Junior and senior students that are in good standing and enrolled in the school district may register for dual enrollment courses. Freshmen and sophomore students may enroll upon the recommendation of the parent and high school principal. 
  5. How do students apply for dual enrollment classes?
    Students should apply early for dual enrollment classes at Apply Texas (https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/gen/c_start.WBX). Students will be notified by mail of their application status. 
  6. Do I have to take the bacterial meningitis vaccine?
    All students attending Texas colleges and universities are required to have the bacterial meningitis vaccine. You may, however, be exempt if you 1) are enrolled in online or other distance education courses; or 2) are a student enrolled in a dual credit course which is taught at a public or private K-12 facility not located on a higher education institution campus.