(Approved by TSUS Board of Regents November 16, 2017)
Any person who is a concealed handgun license holder is permitted to carry a concealed handgun anywhere on the Lamar Institute of Technology campus, including buildings, unless prohibited by state or federal law, or this policy.
- Except as stated below, Lamar Institute of Technology permits its faculty, staff, students and visitors holding a valid concealed handgun license to carry concealed handguns on campus.
- Lamar Institute of Technology students, faculty and staff who attend classes, clinics, internships, co-ops, seminars and other Institute programs/events at off-campus agencies or sites shall be subject to the laws, rules, regulations and policies addressing concealed handgun carry for those agencies or sites.
- Lamar Institute of Technology students, faculty and staff who utilize services and programs at Lamar University shall be subject to the university’s concealed handgun carry policy.
- Designated No Handgun Areas
- Lamar Institute of Technology has designated No Handgun Areas as those locations that are already prohibited by law per Texas Penal Code, Section 46.03. This includes areas being utilized by Early College High Schools on the Institute's premises.
- A notice for 'No Handgun Areas' shall be displayed on campus. The notice must state:
Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun.
- The notice may be provided to individuals on a card, document or sign. If notice is provided through signage, the sign must:
- Include the language italicized above in both English and Spanish,
- Use contrasting colors, block letters at least 1 inch in height and,
- Be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.