Veterans' Education

Benefits and Requirements

The Veterans Affairs (VA) Office assists all students attending Lamar Institute of Technology using education benefits under the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Assistance Programs and Texas Hazlewood Exemption Act in the pursuit of a certificate or associates degree. Our goal is to provide the pertinent information required to all our VA students attending Lamar Institute of Technology.

Veterans are afforded the same rights and must meet all academic requirements and maintain the same academic standards as any student attending Lamar Institute of Technology.

Federal (VA) Benefits

Applying for VA Benefits

The application for VA educational benefits is completed online at the VA eBenefits website: Once approved, the VA will mail a Letter of Eligibility to the student.

VA Certification

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs requires that the university verify that all registered courses are applicable to the degree the veteran is pursuing. In order to be certified, a class schedule must be submitted each semester.

Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30) and Post 9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33)

Montgomery GI Bill is for those who entered military service after June 30, 1985 and paid the $1,200 enrollment fee. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for those with active-duty service for more than 90 days since Sept. 11, 2001.

Checklist of Paperwork Required:

* - Not required for dependents

If transferring from another school:

Dependent Educational Assistance (Ch. 35)

The Dependent Educational Assistance is for dependents of veterans who were disabled, killed or missing while on active-duty.

Paperwork Required

  • VA Letter of Eligibility
  • Degree Plan
  • Class Schedule
  • Worksheet (Included with Lamar Veterans Affairs Welcome Package)
    • Dependent Educational Assistance Welcome Packet

If Transferring from Another School

Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch. 31)

To see if you qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation, please visit the VA's Vocational Rehabilitation eligibility site:

Paperwork Required

  • VA Form 1905
  • ​Class Schedule

If Transferring from Another School

For a comparison of benefits offered by the VA, please visit or call the VA at 888-442-4551 to discuss options available to you.

Texas State Benefit

Texas Hazlewood Exemption Act

The Texas Hazlewood Exemption Act is for Texas veterans who reside within the state of Texas.

Paperwork Required

Additional Paperwork for Dependents

Relationship Document (i.e. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Adoption Papers, Recent Income Tax Return, Divorce Decree, etc.).

  • If veteran is deceased due to service-related circumstances:
    • Report of Casualty, DD Form 1300
    If veteran is deceased due to non-service-related circumstances:
    • Death Certificate
    If veteran is 100% disabled or unemployable due to service-related injury or illness:
    • Current VA disability rating

NOTE: Student and veteran (if not the student) must reside in the state of Texas in order to use this benefit and must register with the Hazlewood Online Database at the Texas Veterans Commission's website:

NOTE: If you are active-duty using tuition assistance, please contact:

For more information please call (409)880-7198 or email