Veterans (Hazlewood)

Tuition and Fees

Persons who were citizens of Texas at the time of entry into the Armed Forces and who are no longer eligible for federal educational benefits (including Pell Grants) are exempt from tuition and laboratory fees, Student Center fees and Technology Service Charge fees. This applies to those who served in World War II, the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam War, and were honorably discharged. This exemption also applies to veterans who entered service after January 1, 1977 and did not contribute under the VEAP program. To obtain this exemption, necessary papers must be presented prior to registration and approval obtained from the Office of Veterans’ Affairs.

The above exemption also extends to children of members of the Armed Forces who were killed in action or died while in the service of World War II, the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam War.

Students must provide a copy of their separation papers (DD 214) and a letter from the Veterans Administration stating that they have no remaining federal education entitlements (G.I. Bill).

Students who expect to attend under some veterans’ benefit plan should contact the Office of Veterans’ Affairs 60 to 90 days prior to registration. The Office of Veterans’ Affairs advises veterans on program and training opportunities, and provides academic assistance and counseling. Veterans interested in information in these areas should visit this office in the Wimberly Building on the Lamar University campus.