Procedures for Admission
Health Information Technology - Associate of Applied Science
Students that are interested in a career in Health Information may complete an Associate of Applied Science degree or a certificate. There is an application for each program.
- Individuals that plan to apply to the LIT Health Information Technology Program must apply and be accepted to Lamar Institute of Technology.
- Complete the “Health Information Technology Program (HIT) Application for Admissions.” Applicants will need to select which of the HIT programs they are submitting the application for; whether it is the AAS degree, a certificate or all three of the majors.
- Complete a criminal background screening.
- Must meet all requirements of Texas Success Initiative (TSI), (COMPASS, ACCUPLACER, ASSET).
- Applicants must deliver official transcripts from all previous college(s) and/or technical school(s) to the Program Director of Health Information Technology. Transcripts must demonstrate a minimum of a 2.5 GPA on all college work, including transfer, academic and technical courses for consideration of acceptance into the Health Information Technology Program.
- The following requirements must be sent to the Program Director of Health Information Technology by April 15 or October 15.
- HIT Application for Admissions
- Official transcripts
- TSI Examination scores
- Background check information
- Written notice of acceptance into the program will be emailed to each applicant after the application deadline. Notices will be sent to the email address on the HIT Application for Admissions.
- Applicants accepted to the program will be required to attend an online orientation session as part of the HITT 1301 class on a date to be determined by the Health Information Technology Program. Applicants will be notified of the date through the HITT 1301 syllabus and an announcement will be sent out on the first class day.
Applicants are responsible for supplying official transcripts.
The program will not furnish this information.
The number of students admitted to the Health Information Program may be limited. If this occurs, the number of students would be dependent upon the number of clinical sites available. At that time, the selection of students would be based on those students with the greatest number of points.
Applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications.
- Have a 2.25 GPA on all college work, including transfer, academic and technical courses.
- Completion of all requirements of Texas Success Initiative (TSI).
- Completion of both semesters of Anatomy and Physiology (BIOL 2301, 2302, 2101, 2102) with a grade of “C” or better.
- All students admitted to one of the Health Information Technology Programs must complete a Criminal Background screen.