We are seeking qualified part time instructors.
Please click here to apply for a part time position!
Truck Driving Academy
Lamar Institute of Technology's (LIT) Professional Truck Driving Academy offers a Class "A" Commercial Truck Driving License Training Program, a Class “B” Commercial Truck Driving License Training Program, and Refresher Training Courses.
With a critical nationwide shortage of professional drivers, commercial truck driving opportunities for local, regional, and over- the- road (OTR) positions have never been better! Jumpstart your career by completing LIT's Professional Truck Driving Academy Class “A” program in as little as 6 weeks or LIT's Professional Truck Driving Academy Class “B” program in as little as 3 weeks and put yourself in the driver's seat of your future career!!
All students are required to have their CDL Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) before registering for the class. To prepare for the course download the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver's Handbook.
Study these Sections in the Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook to prepare for your CLP test:
The following 3 sections should be studied to pass the general knowledge section of CLP testing:
- Introduction section 1-1
- Driving Safely section 2-1
- Transporting cargo safely section 3-1
The following 2 sections are also required to pass CLP testing:
- Air Brakes section 5-1
- Combination Vehicles section 6-1
Click "Application Process" below for additional registration information and requirements.
2021 CDL Class Schedules
|Class A Day Class 7 AM-3 PM Monday-Friday (6 Weeks)||Class A Evening Class 4 PM- 9 PM Monday- Thursday (12 Weeks)||Class B Day Class 7 AM-3 Pm Monday-Friday (3 Weeks)||Class B Evening (6 Weeks)||Refreshers Courses / Restriction Removal|
August 30, 2021 - November 18,2021
May 17,2021 - June 4,2021
June7,2021 - June 25,2021
June 28, 2021- July 16, 2021
July 19, 2021 - August 6, 2021
August 9-2021 - August 27, 2021
August 30-2021- September 17,2021
September 20, 2021 - October 08, 2021
October 11, 2021 - October 29, 2021
November 1, 2021 - November 192021
November 22, 2021 - December 10, 2021
Class “A” Commercial Driver License Training - $3,125 Class “B” Commercial Driver License Training - $1,500 Advanced Refresher Course - $2,000 Refresher Course - $1,000 Restriction removal only Course $500.00 up to 20 hours
- be at least 18 years of age
- possess the appropriate valid Texas Commercial Learner Permit / Current CDL License
- pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical Examination and Drug Screen
- Request a (Type 2) 3 Year Driving Record from the Texas Department of Public Safety
- have a valid social security card & driver's license
- This course is available to individuals that currently possess a valid Class “A” or “B” Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), and have past experience but lack recent experience driving commercial vehicles.
- be at least 18 years of age
- possess a current Medical Examiners Certificate (Medical Card)
- have past experience driving tractor/trailer or combination vehicles
- upload a copy of your social security card & driver's license
To begin the application process students must:
- Complete the application for one of the following courses:
- Upload an Applicant Questionnaire
- Upload a (Type 2) 3 Year Driving Record from the Texas Department of Public Safety
- Upload a copy of DOT Physical Examination and Drug Screen Results
- Upload a Valid CDL Learner's Permit
- Upload a copy of a Valid Social Security card and Driver License
It is a requirement of the Academy that applicants use the Texas Department of Public Safety Beaumont Facility, located at 7200 Eastex Freeway in Beaumont, Texas, for all Academy testing requirements. The applicant's driving record, physical exam and drug screen results must meet DOT standards to qualify for acceptance in the Academy. Admission is on a first come first serve basis. Start dates scheduled after all required documents and payment or letter of intent for payment from a sponsoring agency are complete. Tuition payment will not be collected until an individual has satisfactorily met all admission requirements and been officially accepted into the training program. The Academy will notify applicants as soon as possible concerning their acceptance status.
The Lamar Institute of Technology (LIT) Truck Driving Academy does not accept financial aid, federal student loans, or payment plans for the $3,125 tuition fee. Full payment is required prior to beginning the program. There are some agencies in Southeast Texas that may help students with tuition and fees if the student meet the agency eligibility requirements.
You may contact the following agencies for more information:
Agency Phone Southeast Texas Regional Planning Commission 409-899-8444 TWC Vocational Rehabilitation Services - Beaumont 409-924-7320 TWC Vocational Rehabilitation Services - Port Arthur 409-963-4700 Workforce Solutions Southeast Texas - Beaumont 409-839-8045 Workforce Solutions Southeast Texas - Port Arthur 409-962-1236 Workforce Solutions Southeast Texas- Orange 409-882-0302