Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
All licensing applicants must be pre-approved by the TCEQ before applicants are eligible to take a CBT. Once approved, the applicant will be eligible to attempt a total of 4 tests during a one-year approval period (first initial test plus up to three retests). Only eligible tests for that individual will be available for them to take. The CBT application will not allow an individual access to a licensing test if he/she is not eligible to retest. Candidates are allowed to immediately retest after failing the first three of four tests during his/her one year approval period. Sufficient time should be scheduled for the immediate retest if the candidate indicates they want to take advantage of this option.
Examinations available for CBT by Licensing Program
- Backflow Prevention Assembly Tester (BPAT) - written portion
- Customer Service Inspectors
- Landscape Irrigation
- Landscape Irrigation Inspector
- Landscape Irrigation Technician (English Only)
- Leaking Petroleum Storage Tank (LPST)
- Municipal Solid Waste Facility Supervisors
- Class A (4 hour time limit)
- Class B (2 hour time limit)
- On-site Sewage Facility (OSSF)
- OSSF Maintenance Provider
- OSSF Designated Representative
- OSSF Installer I
- OSSF Installer II
- Underground Storage Tank (UST) On-Site Supervisor
- UST A
- UST B
- Wastewater Treatment and Collection System Operators
- Class I Wastewater Collection System Operator
- Class II Wastewater Collection System Operator
- Class III Wastewater Collection System Operator
- Class B Wastewater Treatment Facility Operator
- Class C Wastewater Treatment Facility Operator
- Class D Wastewater Treatment Facility Operator
- Water Treatment and Distribution System Operators
- Class A Water Operator (6 hour time limit)
- Class B Groundwater Operator
- Class B Surface Water Operator
- Class B Water Distribution
- Class C Groundwater Operator
- Class C Surface Water Operator
- Class C Water Distribution
- Class D Water
- Water Treatment Specialists
- Class III
- Class II
- Class I
NOTE: All exams have a 3 hour time limit unless otherwise noted. Not all CBT centers can accomodate more than 4-hour exams. Please confirm with the CBT center before scheduling.
Pre-approval of your licensing application is required. For pre-approval, applicants must:
- complete license requirements—
- submit an application using our online application and the required fee using our online application: Occupational Licensing Electronic Application (OLEA).
- complete license requirements—
Upon receiving an approval letter, the applicant will need to:
- make an appointment with a registered Test Center to take the exam - additional testing fees established by each CBT center may apply.
- some test centers do not offer fee refunds.
Retesting by CBT after failing a written test is allowed, so long as your application is in an approved status.
CBT license examinations offer:
- The convenience of numerous CBT exam sites
- Daily access and expanded hours to CBT exam sites
- Immediate exam score with e-mail option
- Immediate printed exam analysis feedback with e-mail option
- License issued to applicants passing CBT exam within one week of exam date
- One immediate retest on the same day offered at some exam sites.
- User-friendly computer screens
For more information, visit https://www.tceq.texas.gov/licensing/exams/registration. To make an appointment, please call the Testing Center at 409-880-8687. LIT charges a sitting fee of $25.00 per exam. Testing is located in the Eagles' Nest Building Room 115.