Due to COVID-19, seating is limited and by appointment only.
All examinees will have a health screening as they enter the building.
Payment arrangements will be made with you once an appointment is set.
Testing is only available at LIT in Beaumont. Testing is not available at FRC at this time.
The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules require that all students in Texas public colleges and universities complete the TSI Assessment 2 (TSIA 2). The purpose is to determine a student’s degree of college readiness.
Who must complete the TSIA 2?
All students seeking an Associate’s Degree or a certificate program that is 43 semester credit hours or more are required to take the TSI Assessment 2, unless they meet exemptions. Certificate programs with less than 43 semester credit hours that require math and/or writing will require a student to take certain parts of the TSIA 2 as a prerequisite, unless exemptions are met. Students must complete the TSIA 2 Pre-Assessment Activity before taking the TSIA 2.
How do I register for the TSI Assessment 2?
- Contact the Testing Center at 409-839-2027 or 409-880-8687.
- Obtain a Testing Form (neon pink) at the Cashier’s Office, located in the Cecil Beeson Building. Complete required information, pay at the Cashiers and proceed to Testing Center in the Eagles' Nest Building room 115 with receipt and Testing Form to schedule or take exam.
- If you are unable to come in to pay and if you have access to a fax machine and a credit/debit card, you may contact the cashiers at 409-839-2071 or 409-839-2049. They will send you a credit card authorization form and a test form to complete to return by fax. Once they process they payment, they will send you a receipt. We request that you forward the emailed receipt and the testing form to email@example.com with your request to test. You may request a particular time and date and we will respond back with an answer. You may also call us at 409-880-8687 or 409-839-2027.
- You may come in as a walk in, but no seat is guaranteed. especially during peak testing times, such as class registraion periods in November-January and April-August.
For TSIA 2, appointments are preferred. Walk-ins are accepted when there is sufficient time to complete the exam, when we have available computers, and when the examinee has completed the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA) prior to test time. We recommend calling before you walk in, as we tend to book days in advance during peak testing times. The PAA also provides links to study material. All examinees should review the material well in advance of the exam. The TSIA 2 is a non-timed test and may take four hours or longer. Students should meet with an advisor prior to testing to determine which sections they will need to take. Testing staff will not advise.
If you are attending another school, we will be happy to test you, if seating allows. Your school may require a remote testing voucher. We charge a $25 proctoring fee for all remote TSIA 2/Accuplacer exams. Your school may also charge you a fee. Please contact the Testing Center at your designated school for a voucher, if required. We will be happy to send your scores to another school, if you provide us with contact information to send your scores to.
If you need accommodations for the exam, these must be requested well in advance of the test date with Special Populations staff in Student Services at 409-880-1737 in Eagles' Nest Room 123. If approved, they will coordinate with testing.
- All (Math and English Language Arts and Reading-ELAR) $27
- Math $10
- ELAR $17
(NO REFUNDS FOR ASSESSMENTS once they have started.)
You must complete your TSIA 2 within 13 days.
Students who do not show up for an exam or do not call to reschedule will be required to pay for the exam again. We will gladly refund fees for cancellations with receipt and within 30 days of the scheduled exam date or payment transaction.
- If you need to reschedule your appointment, call the Testing Center PRIOR to your appointment day/time to reschedule. If the voicemail picks up, leave a detailed message @ 409-880-8687 or 409-839-2027.
- If you continually reschedule, we reserve the right to ask you to be a walk in and not schedule any additional appointments.
- If you no show, you will forfeit the fees paid. If you are more than 30 minutes late without notifying the Testing Center, you risk losing your seat.
If you cannot finish in one day, you may complete exam within 13 days of beginning assessment. Retests are allowed with no limit or waiting period. For additional information, call the Testing Center at 409-839-2027 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the exemptions for the TSI Assessment 2.0?
- A graduate with an associate or baccalaureate degree from an institution of higher education.
- A student who transfers from a private or independent institution of higher education, or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education, and who has satisfactorily completed college-level course work of at least six equivalent credit hours (three algebra, three designated writing/reading course ) with a grade of “C” or better.
- Partial Exemption: At least three credit hours of College Algebra exempts a student from the developmental math requirement. At least three college hours of approved designated reading/writing classes exempts a student from developmental reading AND developmental writing.
- Transfer from any public Texas institution of higher education with completed requirements for Texas Success Initiative (TSI). Transcript must be evaluated by the transcript evaluator.
- A student who is serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and has been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment. Documentation is required.
- A student who, on or after August 1, 1990, was honorably discharged, retired or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard, or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
- A student who is enrolled in a certificate program of one year or less (level-one certificates, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent) at a public junior college, a public technical institute or a public state college.
- An ACT composite score of 23 with a minimum of 19 on the English test is exempt for both the ELAR section of the TSI Assessment 2.0. And/or 19 on the mathematics test is exempt for the mathematics section of the TSI Assessment 2.0. Scores are valid for five years.
- SAT: For scores prior to March 2016, a combined critical reading (formerly "verbal") and mathematics score of 1070, with a minimum of 500 on the critical reading test, is exempt for ELAR section of the TSI Assessment 2.0. And/or 500 on the mathematics test is exempt for the mathematics section of the TSI Assessment 2.0. For scores March 2016 and after, a minimum score of 480 on the Evidenced Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) test is exempt for ELAR section of the TSI Assessment 2.0. A minimum score of 530 on the mathematics test is exempt for the mathematics section of the TSI Assessment 2.0. There is no combined score needed. Scores are valid for five years for the TSI and the TSIA 2.0.
- TAKS (exit-level): A 2200 in Math and/or 2200 in English/Language Arts (ELA) with a Writing sub score of at least 3. Scores are valid for five years.
- STAAR end-of-course (EOC) with a minimum score of 4000 on Level 2 on the English III is exempt from the TSI Assessment 2.0 required under this title for ELAR. A minimum score of 4000 on Level 2 on the Algebra II EOC is exempt from the TSI Assessment 2.0 required under this title for the mathematics section. Scores are valid for five years.
- Rules related to the Texas Education Code (TEC), Section 28.014, College Preparatory Course (CPC), Rule 4.54 Exemptions, Exceptions and Waivers: A student who successfully completes a college preparatory course under Texas Education Code 28.014 is exempt for a period of 12 months from the date of high school graduation with respect to the content area of the course. The student must enroll in the student’s first college-level course in the exempted content area in the student’s first year of enrollment in an institution of higher education. (We highly recommend the first semester.) This exemption applies only at the institution of higher education that partners with the school district in which the student is enrolled to provide the course. Additionally, an institution of higher education may enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with a partnering institution of higher education to accept the exemption for the college preparatory course.
Minimum TSI Assessment and TSIA 2.0 scores that demonstrate college readiness (scores valid for 5 years):
|NEW TSIA 2 Math||950-990 OR 949 or lower with Diagnostic level of 6|
|NEW TSIA 2 ELAR||945-990 and a 5 or higher on essay OR Below 945 and a Diagnostic level 5 or 6 with a 5 or higher on essay|
|TSI Writing||340-390 and a 4 or higher on essay OR Below 340 and ABE 4 or higher and a 5 or higher on essay|
What can I expect on the testing day?
- COVID Health screenings are in each building.
- Present with physical and valid (non-expired) photo ID. You will not be able to test without a valid photo ID. If you have questions regarding your ID, ask prior to test date. NO EXCEPTIONS
- Provide receipt
- Provide Student ID #, if you have one. You will use it when signing into the exam. If you do not have one, you may use any number-i.e. DL, phone, etc.
- The TSIA 2 is an untimed test; however for all sections the average is 4 hours. We recommend you bring a snack to eat outside of the testing room. Each test is set up where you may have a diagnostic exam should you not initially meet the TSIA 2.0 benchmark. The diagnostic section gives you a second chance to meet TSI benchmarks and we do use diagnostic scores to place you. They are also a good source to see what you need to study for any retests.
- Lockers are provided for items not allowed in the testing room. Your scores are subject to be canceled and your fees will not be refunded if you have these items in the testing room. These items include, but not limited to: any communication device, any electronic device, jackets, hoodies, purses/wallets/bags, sunglasses, watches, large jewelry, and head coverings (unless for religious or medical purposes), books or notes of any kind, pens, mechanical pencils, weapons, any tobacco products and any food, drink and gum. Please refrain from bringing children and visitors. We do not have a waiting room for visitors, nor can we be responsible for the care of any children. Please be considerate of other examinees in regards to perfume, cologne and other odors which can distract or cause allergic reactions or illness. We reserve the right to deny testing or reschedule you should this be an issue. We reserve the right to deny or reschedule testing due to any student posing a health risk to themselves or others.
- If you feel you cannot complete the exam in one sitting, you may make separate appointments.
- If you need to leave prior to completing all sections, you may make another appointment to finish (except during the essay) within 13 days. After 13 days, you will need to restart entire exam and repay.
- The temperature in the testing room must be kept at 70-74 degrees. Please wear layers in order to meet your personal comfort temperature level.
Website Resources for Additional TSI Assessment 2 Information:
Below, see free websites to study TSIA 2 related content. Some are from former retired TSI exams such as the TSI, THEA, TASP, COMPASS and ASSET, with similar content as the TSIA 2.
Official TSIA 2 Content:Create student account in order to see score reports, access direct link to Learning Locator Codes, study material and send score reports to schools
Perspective- to review concepts of test and to enter Learning Locator Codes upon completion of TSIA 2.0
Unofficial Study Material:
Test Practice Test (Bittinger/Beecher - PDF)
Additional Problems (PDF)
and answer key http://www.thea.nesinc.com/ptanskey.htm
All:TSI Web-Based Study App
TSI Assessment Sample Questions