Lamar Institute of Technology (LIT) welcomes a variety of students, many of whom bring an established knowledge base with them to the campus. To recognize such knowledge and assist students with matriculation LIT awards credit on the basis of the DSST™ Exams. DSST™ allows students to gain college credit and shorten the time it takes to earn a degree.
Students must earn 25% of their certificate or degree coursework through LIT to satisfy the institutional residency and SACSCOC standards. No exceptions. Credit will be awarded only when the student is enrolled at LIT at the time of the examination. It is the student's responsibility to request DSST™ credit placed on his/her records. Credit will not be awarded by DSST™ for classes that students have attempted, previously taken or are currently enrolled.
DSST™ is accepted at over 1,900 colleges and universities within the United States. We welcome examinees attending any institution and offer all DSST™ tests available. The table below does not constitute all of the DSST™ exams given. You should check with your home institution or adviser to verify what DSST™ exams are accepted and the minimum passing score they require, as these may vary by institution. DSST™ scores do not automatically transfer, even if on a college transcript. Each school may have their own criteria.
At this time, LIT recognizes the ACE recommended scores as the criteria for granting credit. LIT reserves the right to change these required scores at any time and any changes made will supersede any previous policy. For a complete list of DSST™ exams available, please visit their website at: http://getcollegecredit.com/ .
DSST™ Credit Granted by Lamar Institute of Technology
|Subject Examination||Score Required for Credit after 2008||Score Required for Credit Prior to 2008||Credit
|Art of the Western World||400||48||3||ARTS 1301|
|Criminal Justice||400||49||3||CRIJ 1301|
|Fundamentals of College Algebra||400||47||3||MATH 1314|
|Human Resource Management||400||46||3||HRPO 2301|
|Introduction to Business||400||46||3||BUSI 1301|
|Personal Finance||400||46||3||BUSI 1307|
|Principles of Statistics||400||48||3||MATH 1342|
How to Register for the DSST™ Test
- Please contact the Testing Center to make an appointment. Walk in testing is not permitted.
- A $20 non-refundable administrative proctor fee must be paid to LIT for each exam taken. Fees must be paid at LIT Cashier’s Office on the first floor of the Cecil Beeson Building. Fees are subject to change. You may pay the fee on the same day that you test or prior to your test. Please provide the Testing Center with the receipt along with the Testing Form (located at cashiers).
- Military Benefits may be viewed at: https://www.dantes.doded.mil/FinancialAid/index.html
- DSST™ charges an $85 fee which must be paid via debit or credit card at the time of the exam. You will enter this information in at your testing computer just prior to testing. You will not be charged until you begin taking the test. Prices subject to change. Please see DSST website for updates.
- You should bring with you the designated school’s DSST™ number code in order to request scores to be sent there. If you do not do this prior to the start of the test, you will be subject to paying the fee to submit scores at a later date. LIT’s DSST™ code # is: 8981.
- Scores from exams are sent electronically to DSST™. In very rare cases, errors in transmission may occur that may result in a retest. LIT is not liable for any electronic errors of this nature. Upon verification of this occurrence, LIT will waive the $20 service fee if a retest becomes necessary. The examinee must contact DSST™ regarding the DSST™ fee.
- Official DSST™ Study Guides are available online at: http://getcollegecredit.com/test_takers
- These may also be available at local bookstores. There are several unofficial study guides available via online searches.
- You will be provided with everything you need to take the exam. All prohibited items must be locked in provided lockers or not brought into the Testing Center. Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: bags, backpacks, purses, wallets, outerwear, calculators, any listening, communicating, transmitting, receiving, recording, photographing or copying devices, any nonmedical electronic devices, food, beverages or tobacco products of any kind, hats, watches, large jewelry, dictionaries, books, pamphlets, flash drives, SD cards, keyboards, reference materials, papers of any kind, slide rules, protractors, pens and pencils, any weapons, noisy items which may be distracting, or any other unauthorized testing aids.
- Please refrain from bringing children and visitors. We do not have a waiting room for visitors.
- Please be considerate of other examinees in regards to perfume, cologne and other odors which can distract or cause allergic reactions or illness. We reserve the right to request you reschedule.
- If you are ill, please consider rescheduling your appointment. We reserve the right to request you reschedule.
- All incidents of misconduct will be reported to appropriate personnel and may result in the loss of test scores and testing fees.
- DSST™ tests may not be retaken within a 90 day period.
- DSST™ exams are two hours long with 100 questions, with the exception of Public Speaking, which has an additional speech presenting section which takes approximately 20 minutes to complete.
- Exam results are available immediately after the exams are taken, with the exception of Public Speaking. Scores will be sent to the requested school within 7-10 business days. If scores are not sent to the designated school, please contact DSST ™ at 1-877-471-9860 within 90 days of your test date and the score will be resent at no charge. Any request after 90 days will incur an administrative fee. No exceptions.
- Accommodations for candidates with disabilities should be arranged with the DSST™ Please call 1-800-967-1139 for information. An ADA packet can be found at: https://www.getcollegecredit.com/test_takers/testing-accommodations/. This needs to be done well in advance to ensure accommodations can be met by the Testing Center.
- Each DSST™ test taker must present one form of a valid and acceptable identification. Military personnel must present a Military ID, in addition to a US Government or State issued Photo ID in order to request fee waiver. The identification should be checked by a Test Center Administrator during the check-in process and may be rechecked at any time during an exam administration by test center staff.
- The test taker’s Primary identification must:
- Be government-issued
- Be an original document — photocopied documents are not acceptable
- Be valid and current — expired documents (bearing expiration dates that have passed) are not acceptable, no matter how recently they may have expired
- Bear the test-taker's full name, in English language characters, exactly as it appears on the Registration Ticket, including the order of the names
- Bear a recent recognizable photograph that clearly matches the test-taker
- Include the test-taker’s signature
- Be in good condition, with clearly legible text and a clearly visible photograph
- Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Government-issued passport and passport cards with name, photograph, and signature
- Driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID with name, photograph, and signature
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- Tribal ID card with name, photograph, and signature
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship with name, photograph, and signature
- A Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) with name, photograph, and signature
Lamar Institute of Technology
855 East Lavaca St.
Eagles’ Nest Room 115
Beaumont, TX 77710